Monday, November 23, 2009

It's a slow process, but I really do want to turn this blog into something significant for the English/Spanish ministry community. In light of this, I'd like to post just a few thoughts I've gathered in the short time (6 years) I've been doing this, especially with regarding to the last year-and-a-half in which we've moved to an English-speaking congregation as a (mostly) Spanish-speaking group.

1) It is vital to strive early for people from both groups to get involved in the transition process, including signing up for activities the church is already involved with.
2) Do NOT try to be an advocate or mediator for Spanish-speakers. If they have issues or complaints, they should address them directly to the leadership (you can, of course act as translator.) It is important they feel like they are part of the church, not just "visitors". Make sure they are prepared to offer solutions to the problems they may have, including their personal involvement in the resolution.
3) Stress to both sides the importance of reaching beyond their normal peer groups to include others in activities (such as Sunday dinner, weekend activities, etc.)
4) Seek others in the English-speaking part of the congregation who may be able to translate and get involved.

That's all I can think of for now. We have been trying to implement some of these precepts, while others I've learned from trial & error. The best advice I can offer at this time is to lead by example. It sounds obvious, but we often feel like we should exert all our energy as a g0-between instead of modeling how integration should work by spreading out amongst the congregation as a whole. I pray this helps some while I try to get a bit more organized. A few topics I'd like to cover soon in this blog: bilingual worship, song availability, technology, sermon preparation, sermon delivery techniques in a bilingual setting, and a continually growing compilation of translated hymns (which I pray will receive contributions from others out there who've translated their favorites.)

In Christ,
LT

No comments:

Post a Comment